VIVA: VIVA Open Course Grants
The goal of the VIVA Open Course Grants (formerly Course Redesign Grants) is to make textbook and course materials free to students by empowering faculty with the resources and time they need to develop their curricula using open, library, or no cost resources.
The RFP for the current round of VIVA Open Course Grants was released on December 9, 2020.
Please download the most recent application, as the application form has changed.
The deadline for applications is 11:59 pm on February 23, 2021. Applications received after that deadline will not be considered.
Grant recipients will be notified on May 14, 2021, and a virtual kickoff meeting, which one team member is required to attend, will be held on June 11, 2021.
Webinars will be held on the grant and the application process will take place on the following dates. Please register at the link provided:
A recording of a previously held informational webinar is available here: http://files.viva.reclaimhosting.com/GrantWebinar191216.mp4. The application has changed since this webinar was recorded. A new recording will me made available after the first webinar is held.
The 2020 Recipients of VIVA Open Course Grants were announced on May 15, 2020. A summary of awarded projects can be found here.
Questions about all VIVA Open grants can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The VIVA Open Grants Program reduces the costs of higher education for Virginia students by eliminating the costs of textbooks and other course materials. These costs can be a significant barrier to student success, shaping everything from what majors are chosen to whether or not degrees are completed. The high cost of textbooks, technology and course materials, currently estimated by The College Board to be around $1,300 per student per year, means that students often do not purchase course materials, and their academic performance suffers as a result. Barriers to curricular resources have been further exacerbated by COVID-19.
Although the need is clear, faculty who wish to develop courses using open or no-cost materials have little resources and time made available to them for these efforts. The VIVA Open Course Grant addresses this by providing support to empower Virginia educators to contribute to the field of open educational materials.
Grants are intended to:
Full or part-time faculty may apply for a grant to support the adoption of OER, including textbooks, software, and library resources that replace a traditional textbook, or a combination of OER and library resources. Grants will be awarded from $2,000-$30,000 and are designed to support faculty members in transitioning to course materials available at no cost to students. Successful applications will receive 75% of the funding at the outset of the project and the remaining 25% upon completion of a final report.
Proposals may involve one person or teams of any of the following: teaching faculty, librarians, instructional designers, subject matter experts, editors, graphic designers, or others as needed. While individuals can be involved in more than one applying team, they may not be listed as the Primary Investigator (PI) in more than one proposal, nor may they be the PI on more than one Open Course Grant simultaneously, including grants awarded in previous years. Recipients of a VIVA Open Adopt Grant may apply for a VIVA Open Course Grant as PI.
Applications will be reviewed by members of VIVA’s Open and Affordable Course Content Committee, VIVA administrators, and peer-reviewers. Grants will be awarded based on:
Support and Expectations
Each awarded grant will receive a project orientation at a kickoff meeting and ongoing support from VIVA staff, including Creative Commons license support. Adapt and Create grants will also receive support in modifying existing OER, access to Pressbooks, ISKME’s Open Author Tool, copyright consultations, and DOIs and ISBNs, where needed. All created or modified material resulting from these grants must be in a format that can be hosted on VIVA's shared repository, VIVA Open. Copyright remains with the creator but VIVA requires permission to host the content in perpetuity. In addition, grant recipients will be expected to participate in the following required activities: