VIVA operates under a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU). As described in the Organization Plan, linked to the left, VIVA is headed by a Steering Committee comprised as follows:
- All 6 public doctoral institutions have standing representation on the Steering Committee.
- Three representatives are elected from among the 9 public 4-year colleges and Richard Bland College (a 2-year college).
- The private, nonprofit colleges elect 2 representatives.
- The 23 members of the Virginia Community College System have 1 representative appointed by the VCCS Chancellor.
- In addition, the chair of the SCHEV Library Advisory Committee, VCCS Director of Library Services, and any chairs of other VIVA standing committees serve on the VIVA Steering Committee as ex officio voting members, as does the immediate past VIVA Steering Committee chair for one year coinciding with the first year of the new chair's term.
- The VIVA Director serves as a non-voting ex officio member.
The Steering Committee is supported by four additional standing committees, also comprising members selected from the member institutions. Special ad hoc committees are convened as needed.
Operational responsibility for VIVA is conducted by the VIVA staff, currently the Director, Deputy Director, Budget & Operations Manager, Assessment & E-Resources Program Analyst, and Open and Sustainable Learning Coordinator.