MARC Records for the PBS Collection
MARC records were created for the VIVA PBS streaming video collection according to a process recommended by the VIVA streaming video project committee:
- Using a template for encoding determined in consultation with the VIVA streaming video project committee, JMU derived OCLC episode-level records from records for existing physical formats (see JMU "cheat sheet" document)
- JMU provided VCU with OCLC numbers of their new records and a spreadsheet with program-related web page addresses
- VCU exported OCLC rcords to a file and edited them for distribution to VIVA institutions to include VIVA-specific fields as per VIVA project committee recommendations. These files contained "dummy" 856 fields that could be populated with the local institution's address information.
- On 9/10/14, a new set of records was made available by UVa. The 856 fields in these records contain links directly to the videos hosted at UVa on behalf on VIVA.
In addition to the 856 fields, the following have also been added to the records:
- 830 field for VIVA streaming video collection
- 830 field for VIVA PBS streaming video collection
- 856 fields for program web sites, when available
Files available as of 9/12/14 include:
- File of 498 MARC episode-level records in .mrc format (for loading in local catalogs)
- File of 498 MARC episode-level records in .mrc UTF-8 format
- File of 498 episode-level records in .mrk format for viewing/manipulating with MarcEdit or other text editing program
For example, individual libraries may want to:
- modify/remove 035 field with OCLC number
- change 049 code to institution's own code
- modify/delete 856 fields for local hosting of videos, if appropriate
- JMU "cheat sheet" document
- Text file of OCLC record numbers that can be used to add institutional holding symbols in OCLC through a batch process.